25 May 2011

Big Sister's New Room - Finally!

I searched for some really really 'before' pics but I soon gave up.  There's just too many and I didn't feel like taking the time.  So just imagine yucky old plaster walls and bright forest green carpet.  And a nasty wall trying to make a walk through closet before you got into the room.  Not pretty.  At all. 

The drywall stage - obviously!  We have THE BEST drywall finisher. If you ever need one let me know, I'll get you his number.  Seriously, he stopped in 3 different evenings on his way home from his 'real' drywall finishing jobs and knocked this out.  Travis then spent a couple evenings sanding and viola!  Ready for paint:)


First strip of hardwood.  YAY!
Fun chandi from IKEA.  I so wish they still carried this one.  It was less than $20 and it is made with real glass instead of plastic.  You can also see the 3 colors we used here.  Pink, blue, and light purple.  I call it light purple cause it really isn't lavender.  It's darker than that but not as dark as you think of when someone says 'purple'.  Big Sister loves it!
Barn light.  I bought this at Keim Lumber 3 years ago.  I love it. Big Sister does not love it.  Too bad.  She has to put up with it.  Especially since we spent an entire afternoon and evening getting a 3-way switch wired to it properly.
Ka-chunka!  Loved hearing that sound.  Although if I was in the room I plugged my ears.  It's noisy.  But when it was making noise that meant more flooring was going down.
Sawing off the door jams to get the last of the flooring put down.
Laying down on the job!  It WAS hard work:)
Remodeling takes lots of tools.  Thanks so much to my Mom and Dad for all the great Christmas gifts over the more than a decade of Christmases since we've been married!

Like I said, lots of tools!
Chandi is very pretty at night.
Finished!  Finally.  We were all very thankful.

Curtains at the closet.  Bought at Ikea.  I didn't remember to take pictures of the inside of her closet after she moved in.  Probably because it immediately became a mess.  She's 12.  Enough said.
On the right side inside the closet she has her desk.  To the left is a rod for her clothes. It's working well for now anyway.
Curtains for the windows from Ikea.  I bought these 3 years ago too.  Have you picked up on the idea yet that we really didn't plan for it to take this long to get this room finished??  We had such good intentions.  But hey, we are raising a family too.  And there were some other projects that came up.  Like my school/sewing/computer/craft room redo.  Sometimes opportunities arise that put present project on the back burner so others can get done instead. 
Which reminds me!  I can't wait to show you what we ran down to Kentucky to pick up last Saturday!!!
Ok back to Big Sis's room.  That's Little Sister right where she parked herself as soon as the chair was moved in.  She has a slight problem remembering this in Big Sister's room and she needs to stay out most of the time.  She's 5.  She's the baby.  She's a mess.  But an adorable mess so we put up with her:)
Moving in.  Oh how sweet those words.
Add some accessories...
Can you tell she is excited?
Lamp from Ikea, night stand from Ikea, green blanket at foot of bed from Ikea.  Chinese Lanterns from McMaster and Storm (I miss their brick and mortar)  'E' pillow from Justice, pink chair from Justice.  Wavy Mirrors from Ikea. (Didn't we have a fun day there Mom?)  Iron bed from a garage sale.  Dresser is an old one that was my hubby's when he was a boy.  It's been painted a couple times since it has resided with me around:)
Rug from Goodwill.  They were NIP (new-in-package) at Christmastime.  I think they originally sold at T*rget.
Zebra print rabbit skin is one I picked up at Ikea a year or so ago.  Big Sister immediately claimed it. I had originally bought it for her then decided I wanted to use it myself.  But she managed to finagle it anyway.
Big Sister added her American Girl horses.  And a bunch of other American Girls stuff that I don't show here.  It wasn't my idea of decor.  But she did have fun playing with it!  It has now been put away in the closet because we are trying to plan a sleep over for a very belated birthday party.  We had to finish the room before I was willing to take on a dozen girls overnight.
And the finishing touch.  I finally got these trees and birds on the walls this week.  We all really like the effect.  No they were not exactly quick and easy to put up but with some patience (which I'm short on) and precision it isn't exactly hard either.  I'm very impressed with the quality of the decals.  I ordered them on Etsy.
And that's it for now!  I want to repaint and refloor the room that Middle Sister and Little Sister share now that Big Sister has moved to her new room.  For now we are enjoying the extra space to spread out and breathe!  The old room got a good cleaning, rearanged, and a new organization shelf/tub system.  Middle Sister and Little Sister love it.  So do I.  New curtains and paint and floor can wait.  Besides we still haven't finished the landing/stairway area yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. K said...

Looks fantastic and fun!

May 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma, I love your new room. Lv, Gma

May 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am impressed by the love and work that went into creating a beautiful room for your daughter. It looks like a very special place just for her.

June 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for all the 'Fine' Comments! I enjoy them all!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home