19 October 2009

{Apple/Cheese Bars}


I took lunch to Kara's on Friday to help her out a little with her Studio Sale.  These cookie bars were part of the 'menu'.  Kara and Darcy raved over them and Kara asked about 385 times for me to put the recipe on my blog!!  So, Kara, here it is.  Easy to make, yummmy to eat:

Crust:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour (can use part rolled oats, if desired) (i didn't)

Filling:
4 medium size cooking apples (about 4 cups), grated
1 package (8 ounces) finely grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:
Reserved egg whites
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Make crust by combining sugar, butter, egg yolks, baking powder, salt and flour.  Blend until mixture is crumbly.  Press 1/2 of mixture into bottom of 9x13 pan; reserve remaining half.  Set aside.  Grate apples and cheese together in one bowl (food processor works well for this.) Add sugar, flour and cinnamon; mix well.  Spread apple/cheese filling over crust.  Sprinkle remaining half of crumb mixture over filling.  Make topping by whipping egg whites until peaks form.  Gradually add confectioners' sugar and cream cheese, beating continuously.  Spoon evenly over all layers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown.
Yield: 36 bars



These are absolutely wonderful. You will find it hard to stop at one!  I sent the last 3 with Travis in his lunch this morning and told him to share if he didn't want all 3.  I can't have them around anymore, I've eaten enough!!  The Bible says to flee temptation so I removed that temptation from my house!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Joni said...

Looks delicious! I went to cut and copy the recipe to print out and then nixed the idea. I don't need these right now. But thankfully, the recipe will be right here when I get the urge. Thanks for posting.

October 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Mrs. K said...

Sounds delicious. This sounds like a potluck recipe, so I can taste it and enjoy it but not eat the whole pan!

October 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Janean said...

Oh my GOODness they look too yummy. I'm making them for a hayride Friday! yay!

October 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love apples and cheese together! I often eat it as a snack, just a slice of cheese and an apple...but this sounds much yummier! Good idea sending the temptation out the door :)

:) T

October 20, 2009 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger McMaster & Storm said...

thank ya!
they were good with our fun times last weekend

October 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for all the 'Fine' Comments! I enjoy them all!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home